Kathryn Heard Craig’s Art
Kathryn Heard-Craig was a gifted artist whose talent was apparent by the age of 7. She was passionate about art throughout her lifetime and was a founder of the Art Club of McKinney in 1914. Mrs. Craig wanted the community to have access to fine art and would often arrange for traveling exhibits to come to McKinney. She would meet the train at the station and would organize the delivery of the art works to a local venue. Mrs. Craig and members of the Art Club would unpack and install the exhibit for the public. At the exhibit’s conclusion, they would re-crate the pieces and ship them by train to the next venue.
Mrs. Craig asked that her art collection remain on exhibit in her family home, the Heard-Craig House, in perpetuity so that it could be enjoyed by the community and guests around the world. The Heard-Craig art collection is comprised of more than 400 pieces including sculptures, watercolors, oils, etchings, engravings, and artifacts. Kathryn Heard-Craig collected many pieces from early Texas artists who were also her friends: Frank Klepper, E. G. Eisenlohr, Thomas Stell, Jerry Bywaters, Merritt Mauzey, and Allie Tennant to name a few. The Heard-Craig Art Collection includes personal notes sent to Mrs. Craig from these artists. The collection is eclectic and includes paintings by Guy Wiggins, Bruce Crane, Chauncey Ryder, Thomas J. Sully and many others.
Heard-Craig Art Restoration
The Heard-Craig has a priority list of paintings requiring conservation work. As funds are acquired, the paintings requiring the most care are sent to the conservator. We have received generous donations from a private donor that allowed us to restore four paintings. Three of the paintings were by artist, Frank Klepper, a featured and prominent Texas Artist.