Bringing the arts to the community for more than a century!
The Heard-Craig House, built in 1900, is one of the most beautifully preserved historic homes in North Texas. The gracious hospitality of S. D. Heard and his wife, Lillie, made this residence a center of social, business, art and literary activities. The family’s heirlooms, art objects, personal memorabilia and furniture remain in the home today.
Through the vision of the Heard’s daughter, Kathryn (Katie), the Heard family home has been preserved so that future generations can “learn somewhat of the past.” It was Kathryn Heard Craig’s dream that her family home be used for the “education and enlightenment of the women of McKinney.” She believed that by providing a “club house” where the women’s clubs could meet that they would continue to flourish; and provide personal enrichment and education to their members. Clubs with a cultural, literary or educational focus have had the privilege of meeting in the Heard-Craig facilities since 1971.
The mission of the Heard-Craig Center for the Arts is to continue Kathryn Heard Craig’s vision to foster the arts through exhibits and educational programs, extend meeting privileges to historic/educational clubs, and preserve the Heard-Craig properties and collections.